Monday, December 6, 2010

Here in Uganda

I arrived safe and sound in Uganda, Sunday night at 10:30 pm.  That is ten hours later than Phoenix.  I had a long layover in London and DID NOT miss my flight (thank you very much).  But I arrived late in the afternoon and by the time I got to my hotel it was very cold, damp and dark.  so I holed up for the night.  Tourist attractions are not open at night in the winter.  But I did walk to the white stag pub and have fish and chips.  The meal included mushy peas, their words not mine.  Not my favorite new food.  The fish was very good and the chips were the fat soft kind.  I also rented a remote, nothing is included at easyhotel.  Ha!  I watched slum dog millionaire again and really enjoyed it.  I got to my plane with plenty of time to spare and was able to have a Starbucks coffee, good but not Einsteins.  On the flight to Uganda I watched Shrek forever after.  Very cute movie.  Today has been probably a pretty typical day except the boys are not in school.  They are on holiday until January.  What a long break!  And like every other kid on the planet they are already running out of things to do.  HA!  I bought a teach yourself Lugandan CD that I will start and brace myself for all of the boys laughing at my horrible accent.  I went to the market today with David but quickly ran out of money.  I bought a web stick and a Uganda phone.  Number to come later.  So I still need the basics: soap, shampoo, and a curtain.  The guys here have made the cargo container very homey.  I have a space just over the size of my twin bed for my "room".  I brought some red sheets from home and it feels great.  The boys asked me today to ride one of their bikes.  Funny stuff when a 50+ woman gets on a kids bike!  Of course disaster was not far behind as I promptly fell into a puddle.  No harm done though.  I also have been helping the boys learn about the computer.  We had four computers donated and I brought them all, wrapped snugly and dispersed in my bags.  Praise God, they ALL made it.  I almost lost the printer though since the terrorist bomb scare in ink cartridges.  But they let me through.  Kampala is warm and humid and I am happy!  You can text me on my us phone at 602-326-5025.  Please don't call.  Thank you for all of your support and I will keep you posted.   GJ

1 comment:

Betty Anne said...

YAY, for your safe arrival and internet communication abilities. Can't wait for you to post some pictures of your new home!
Love you and am praying for you!
BA