Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A few Days later in Uganda-April


In Arizona it is lunch time and here in Uganda it is 10:30 PM. I have had a couple of truly amazing days. Sunday we went to a church, Calvary Chapel, that has an American Pastor. This church spoonsors a program called Front Line and is a ministry to street children. They have a lot of British and American volunteers come and help. They seem to stay anywhere from four to six months. It takes that long to aquire a little Logandan and to gain the trust of the kids. We took the kids from the house to church with us. We then went to lunch with some Ugandan and American and British leaders. That afternoon we went to the pool with all of the boys. They had so very much fun. Just like all kids do on a hot afternoon. They boys really consider themselves a family and the Ugandan men that are counsellors at the home are their mentors. The boys call the men Uncles and the women, like Abby, Auntie. They call me Jajja which means grandmother. I am honored. Then Sunday night we went to the orphanage in Senge. It is run by African Hearts. Abby volunteers with them. They are a Ugandan group that works with street boys too. But it was late when we arrived and I wasn't able to really meet the boys. The next morning they left early to go to school and I was still sleeping. We then returned to The Kivulu house, the safe house, in Kampala. I spent the afternoon using the wonderful facepaints that you donated with the street kids, but they had to bathe first. I really had fun and they did too. Monday, Wednesday and Friday they have a program for the kids, they have a short school lesson, then they feed them, play games with them and tell them a Bible story. The boys can also get soap, clothes and recieve medical care. Then tonight I told the Bible story to the boys. I watch thirty or forty boys curl up on cardboard, or a plastic burlap sack to go to sleep. Some had towels or sheets, but they all layed on a hard dirt floor. But at least it is safe. Abby has hird two guards to watch them. Tonight she had to remind them to not sleep. One of the boys gave me a bracelet to wear. I will wear it with joy. I ate posho and beans for dinner, the same thing the boys get almost every night. They had pineapple and they shared with me. Generosity in the midst of great poverty. It just goes to show that poverty of the purse does not mean poverty of the heart. Please pray for the boys and Abby and her team both Ugandan and American.

No comments: