Tuesday, July 20, 2010

still in Uganda April 9

Today is Wednesday and the rainy season has started in Uganda. Monday night it started to rain and it rained HARD for a couple of hours. Most of the city can handle the water but here in the slum it is really muddy. I went to the market with Abby and Uncle Julius. (remember uncle is a term of respect here). I remember hearing once that all of the clothes from Goodwill and Savers that did not get sold were baled and shipped to Africa. Well I can now say with complete confidence that it is absolutely true. We went shopping for clothes for the boys in the street programs. Abby drives a hard program and was able to buy 65 pieces of clothing for about a dollar a piece. We barely made it back to the house before it started to rain. We rode motorcycles, bodas. At some points I honestly had to close my eyes but we made it back safely! I bought an African outfit in the market with Abby's and an Ugandan woman's help. I will wear it to our dinner on the 24th. Most of the money I brought I have been using to help Abby. I want to go back to the market and buy an outfit for all of the boys in the house. If you would like to contribute to this, simply write a check and attach a note that says Uganda. You can buy a complete outfit for under $5 less than the price of a Starbucks. (no pressure or anything-HA) I also know the word for white person, it is Muzungu . I heard it a million times in the market today.
I am trying to understand the culture and religion of Uganda. It is probably 85% born again Christian. The next major religion is Islam. The Catholic church is not held in high regard here and is not considered Christian. There is a very small amount of Mormons. There are Bible verses written on all of the Taxis and on many walls.But polygamy is alive and well here. Don't ask me how that fits in. Over 80% of the people are under 30 years old. War and AIDS have taken a heavy toll.
The Ugandans say that politicians are corrupt. I know many Americans would say the same thing about our government. A man tried to pick pocket me but was caught by the police. He was severely beaten in front of me. I think I should have said thank you but I was simply frozen in disbelief. Uncle Julius pulled me into the taxi and we sped away. He explained to me that thieves are considered the lowest of the low here and are not tolerated.
So what is Abby and the Ugandan team doing here? They are helping (loving) as many of the street boys as possible. They may or may not have already heard the Gospel but they definitely have not experienced love. The kids in the slums have it better, and when you see the picture you will wonder how?, but at least they have some sort of family. But these boys wander the crowded dirty streets, huff a cheap type of airplane fuel, and become thieves. And you know what the people think of thieves. in addition to being fatherless, the boys in the Senge house have all been physically and sexually abused. When God says that He is a Father to the fatherless, who but us can be His loving arms here on Earth?

No comments: