Sunday, July 31, 2011

Early July 2011

This month has flown by. I have been busy doing some new things that are so exciting.  As you may remember the other missionary, Amanda, and I and shared the responsibilities for Hope House, the program for prostituted women.  Amanda has been training me to be able to buy the jewelry from them to send to the US (harder than it seems-HA) Last week was my first week of going solo.  This means that Amanda will focus on the street boys and I will focus on the women.  Because of my age, it is a really good fit.  I started teaching them salvation through faith alone two weeks ago.  So many churches here teach a conditional salvation, you do well and God will love you, you mess up and he no longer cares.  For women who have prostituted themselves out of desperation and misery this message is very damaging.  Actually it is damaging for anyone!  Also I spend lots of time with our boys at home.  As you know I have really bonded with the older boys.  I would love to begin counselling them on becoming men of God and I think working with Uncle Steven would work.  If you have any suggestions of curricula that would be awesome, or even a good place to start.  These boys have been exposed to such horror.  Many have been sexually assaulted and all have had to deal with rejection and abandonment. Please pray for me as I need wisdom.  We have a summer intern here named Caitlyn.  We all call her Cate.  She is 20, from CA and a barrel of laughs!  Some of you know that I had the bright idea to take a couple of college courses while I was home.  Since I don't have formal training in counselling, or childhood trauma I needed to take some basic courses.  I took Abnormal Psychology and Race and Ethnicity.  In my mind I thought I would easily be able to finish either before I left or shortly after returning to Uganda.  WRONG!  Needless to say I took a two day "holiday" at a guest house in Kampala and finished my coursework.  We have both internet and electricity problems in Wakalyga where I live.  But I am done.  The courses were actually really interesting.  
One of the fun activities that I have been doing with our boys is cooking with them every Saturday morning.  This coming Saturday I am going to make noodles and sauce and coleslaw.  I know, odd combination but I only have my local market to purchase supplies.  The boys love it!  I love it too!  I serve them tea and we all try my creations!  HA!  
Thank you so very much for praying for me for my bronchitis, I am almost completely over it!  For me four weeks is a pretty short run!  
Today is computer training for the women.  I have been teaching them how to use a keyboard and how to get familiar with the computer.  Then after the lesson is over I take three women out to lunch.  We have a restaurant that we walk to that has good local food.  Last week I bought medicine for several of the women who had the flu.  HIV and the flu are NOT a good combination.  I want you to know this: that YOU are the ones that make that possible.  Every time I can show love to the women or to the boys it is because of you.  "We" bought Bibles for all of the women.  We take them to lunch.  We buy them medicine.  We make fun little meals every Saturday morning.  Thank you!  
When I teach a Bible study or counsel a boy I know that I am covered in prayer by MANY people who love these precious souls also.  Thank you!
On a very fun note before I close.  I was at Owino, the HUGE market filled with used clothing and other items, looking for school shoes for the boys.  I came across a woman selling sandals and she had a pair of Birkenstock sandals, in my size and they were RED!!! Of course I bought them.  A small thing that made me so very happy.  Nice shoes with a good arch and in a color that I love! 

Thank you again for all of the love and support that you give me, the women and the boys.  May you feel Christ's grace, mercy and compassion in a new and fresh way every day!

No comments: