Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mid July 2011

Yesterday was one of the days that make me want to cry for so many reasons.  The schedule got changed so the women are coming to Hope House on Friday.  So I stayed home to work on receipts.  I got a frantic call from Caitlyn saying that I needed to take some boys to the clinic.  She was at a soccer field in Kampala with 150 street boys and a team from South Carolina that are doing a VBS (sort of).  So I hopped on a boda and sped over there.  Two of the boys were VERY sick and two others had nasty eye infections.  I took them to the nearest clinic, in a taxi with an uncle.  Scary place.  Fairly clean but I didn't see any sterile needles.  One boy got a Malaria meds injected right into his vein.  It took her five times.  The other boy got four meds including Cipro and two other antibiotics that I didn't recognize.  Plus Malaria meds to take.  The bother boys got antibiotics and eye drops.  while I was waiting to pay I leaned on what I thought was a wall and fell backwards and landed flat on my back.  Everyone at the clinic started to panic and wanted to give me an injection and I am almost crying saying no, I have my own pain killers, please no. The boys are all saying get the injection jajja.   It really was pretty funny. So we took them back to the VBS.  Everyone took their meds and I started to do medical care.  Nothing like doing medical care on street boys to put a little back pain into perspective.  The worst part is their feet.  Most of the time, they have no shoes so their feet are covered with sores, ingrown nails, and jiggers.  Jiggers are a little insect that bores into your feet and makes a mess.  The boys just love having some personal attention.  I did that for an hour or two and then when everyone was finished I started to leave.  And ran into a low beam with my head.  REALLY Gina!  God must really need to teach me a lesson, I know I am hard headed but can't I learn an easier way!  I went home.  Took a Valium, and started to rest.  Abby called me and asked me to please get some sun glasses for the two boys that had eye problems.  So back on the boda and down to the nearest market Nattette.  It is about a mile away, usually I walk, because I love the walk, but not today.  Got the glasses and five big puffy coats for our boys and three pillows.  You KNOW you need big puffy coats when it gets down to a chilly 70 degrees. HA!  I had bought five others last weekend so almost every boy has one.  I also bought 6 "jumpers"  hoodies in American English.  Feeling great because of the Valium.  Go home.  I haven't been home 15 minutes when Amanda comes in crying and doubled over in pain.  Drop everything, get another boda go to The Surgery (that is the name of the clinic where we go)  She is on fire and crying!  Got there she had to wait about 30 minutes but then she saw a doctor.  They did an ultrasound on her and ran all kinds of tests. She has a fungal infection but they could not find the source of her pain. She has a pic line in and we are going back today.  (Only tylenol and Ibuprofen for me today!)  I also looked up the clinic where Embasy people go.  So I told her the next time I am taking her there.  It is called Kampala International Hospital. So God put my back pain in proper perspective for me.  I needed that.  Truly was feeling sorry for myself.
May God never have to use a 2x4 on you to get your attention.  I love you all!

No comments: